Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Darkroom Lives!!!

I acquired all the pieces for a successful darkroom almost a year ago. It was the equipment owned by Ken Gaydos my former high school art teacher. It was the same equipment that I used while taking photography courses in high school. Ken was sick with cancer and unable to use the equipment. He wanted it to go to a good home and I gladly volunteered.

Unfortunately Ken past away in January of 2008. He was an amazing teacher that went above and beyond what his job required of him. I still have a sketch that I turned in as a homework assignment after class had started (it was due at the start). He wrote on it, "Great Job, Late - F". He always expected the best and taught with dedication and enthusiasm. If I become half the teacher he was, I will be a success.

For the longest time I hesitated to set up all the equipment because Lara and I were unsure if we would be in the area much longer. However, when I found a new advisor I decided to run the water to the sink and the electric to the lights, fan, and enlargers. For whatever reason it has sat that way for a few months. That is until tonight!!! I finally mixed up my developer, stop, and fix and started developing. It was so enjoyable. For those of you from Lakeview High it is like a step back in time. I have the same enlargers (one of which has graffitied Cam '99 on the bottom!!!), the same lights, and the same sink. For those that don't know, Cam is still one of my best friends that I graduated with in 1999.

Mr. Gaydos supplied me with a lifetime of chemicals, so feel free to stop by and do some developing!

1 comment:

Hetrick family said...

YAY!! That's awesome! Now your pictures are only going to get better!! I LOVE that you were late setting it up, and late turning in your work--you're my brother from another mother :) And how perfect that you have Cam's graffiti as well. I am sure you'll be super busy down there when your little one arrives, developing all his/her pictures!